Trimming Vegetation

As the Highway Authority, we are required to keep the highway free from obstructions, such as vegetation.

Currently, we aim to remove any obstructions caused by overgrowing vegetation on highway land within 28 days of it being identified. This includes vegetation that may be obscuring road signs or street lights that belong to the council.

If the vegetation is privately owned, we send a letter to the landowner who is required to remove it within 28 days.

What can my town or parish council do?

You can prune back vegetation that obstructs roads or pavements more regularly in your area. Please get in touch with us to discuss further details.

If you want to report private vegetation that is obstructing roads or pavements in your area, please report it using our Report a Problem form.

What do I need?

We've listed several method statements which should provide advice and guidance on performing these works safely:

Online versionPDF download
Scrub, Hedge and Tree Cuttingpdf icon Scrub, Hedge and Tree Cutting [21kb]
Hedge Cuttingpdf icon Hedge Cutting [26kb]

You'll need to have the appropriate insurance in order to carry out these works. Please read our Insurance Guidance for more information.

Do you need some equipment or training to carry out this service? See our funding page for more information.