Local Grass Cutting

As the Highway Authority, we are required to cut the rural and urban highway verges to maintain a safe environment for all users. Open space grass cutting and maintenance of our parks is primarily carried out to maintain a pleasant and attractive local environment.

Currently, our contractor carries out two rural grass verge cuts a year, and eight cuts on urban verges and open spaces.

What can my town or parish council do?

If you have B roads (30mph and under) running through your parish, you can maintain these to a higher standard, by funding additional cuts to highway verges, parks, open spaces and amenity areas.

If you want to start cutting grass in your parish, please get in touch with us.

There is also the option for town and parish councils to pay West Berkshire Council to carry out more cuts on verges in their ward. Please contact us to discuss this further.

What do I need?

We've listed several method statements which should provide advice and guidance on performing these works safely.

Online versionPDF download
Grass Cuttingpdf icon Grass Cutting [25kb]
Ride-on-Mowerpdf icon Ride-on-Mower [42kb]
Works on Vergespdf icon Works on Verges [220kb]


You'll need to have the appropriate insurance in order to carry out these works. Please read our pdf icon Insurance Guidance [332kb] for more information.

Do you need some equipment or training to carry out this service? See our funding page for more information.